This delicious meal is a twist on traditional chicken dishes with its fragrant blend of flavors from peanut butter, garlic, sesame oil, and more - an instant hit for the whole family. After you try this Chinese Peanut Butter Chicken you will probably never need to order Chinese takeout again!
If you're looking for a delicious dish, peanut butter chicken is the answer! Everyone will love this combination of sweet and savory flavors that come together in perfect harmony. You won't have to spend hours slaving over the stove either; this easy recipe comes together quickly and deliciously. All you need is some cooked chicken, creamy peanut sauce, and a few other ingredients. Best of all, you can customize the flavor however you like with extra sauces and spices!
This was inspired by my Thai Noodle Salad with Peanut Sauce on this site.
- vegetable oil
- boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes about an inch or chicken thighs
- creamy peanut butter if you have peanut allergy you can also use almond butter
- soy sauce or hoisin sauce
- sesame oil
- clove garlic minced
- chicken stock
- green onions.
- Optional garnish: sesame seeds
See recipe card for quantities.
In a large bowl, add the chicken cubes and the cornstarch and mix until the chicken is well coated.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat add olive oil, once hot add the chicken, brown on each side. Cook until the chicken is golden brown.
Remove the chicken pieces from the saucepan and reserve.
In the same saucepan over medium heat add the peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, and chicken broth. Stir to combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and add the chicken cubes.
Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low.
Add the chicken cubes.
Continue cooking for 3 -5 minutes or until the rich peanut sauce has thickened and the chicken is completely cooked.
Remove from heat and sprinkle with green onions.
Peanut Butter Chicken is a delicious and easy dish. The recipe itself is simple but if you're feeling adventurous, there are dozens of fun ways to spice up the dish to create something new. Use crunchy peanut butter for an added texture, add some chili flakes for some heat, or throw in some vegetables like bell peppers for a healthier twist.
Peanut Butter Chicken should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. To further preserve its flavor and texture, freeze it in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. To reheat the dish, place it in the oven or microwave until heated through.
Yes, you can use crunchy or natural peanut butter in this recipe. The texture and flavor may be slightly different but either will still create a delicious glaze for your chicken. Feel free to experiment with different flavors such as almond, cashew, or sunflower butter.
Absolutely! This Peanut Butter Chicken recipe works great with pork chops, or even tofu. Simply adjust the cooking times and marinating instructions depending on which protein you choose.
You can serve the peanut butter chicken with a variety of sides and accompaniments to create a complete meal. For a traditional side, try steamed veggies of your choice such as carrots, broccoli, and zucchini. Rice is also a great option – steamed white rice, brown rice or even cauliflower rice would be delicious.
Chinese Peanut Butter Chicken
- large skillet
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into approximately one-inch cubes or chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter you can also use almond butter you can also use almond butter
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce or hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 2 green onions.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken cubes and cornstarch and stir until the chicken is well coated.
- In a saucepan over high heat, add the olive oil, once hot add the chicken, brown 3-4 minutes on each side. Cook until the chicken is golden.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pot over medium-high heat add the peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and chicken broth. Stir to combine all the ingredients and have a homogeneous sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and add the chicken cubes.
- Continue cooking for 3 to 5 minutes or until peanut sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with green onions.
What a delicious recipe..surely a keeper. We made it for dinner tonight and it was wiped clean.
Enjoyed this for dinner tonight and it was a savory success! Quick, easy and delicious; the perfect dinner for a busy weeknight, indeed!
Extremely delicious! Reminded me of the West African Peanut Stew. Super creamy texture and very filling too! Will definitely make it again!
This is even better than my favorite takeout!
Love peanut butter, made last night it turned out so good! Thanks for the recipe.