This Fall Vegetables and Tofu Stew bring memories from my Childhood
Every fall, my mom use to made this stew with good, seasonal vegetables and a big piece of braised beef. Since I’m no longer eating meat but wanting to rediscover the flavors of this comforting dish, I decided to experiment in the kitchen and make a Fall Vegetables and Tofu Stew with similar ingredients.
Tofu is made from curdled fresh soy milk, which has been compressed into blocks. It is generally 100% gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan.
Tofu has a neutral flavor that easily absord any seasoning you want to add.
Tofu is a vegetarian protein rich in calcium and protein. Tofu is also a great source of amino acids and is low in calories. Try to buy your tofu Organic or GMO-free
There are two main categories of tofu – silky or firm. The silky tofu is soft and liquidy because it contains a high volume of water content. Firm tofu can be medium, firm or extra-firm. For this recipe, you will need firm or extra-firm tofu.
Well I did it and ended up with this delicious vegan vegetable and tofu Stew! I admit it doesn’t taste exactly the same, but we’re close. It’s a tasty recipe to enjoy on a cold fall day. I don’t know about you, but having my cold hands on a hot bowl filled with tasty ingredients is a real treat!
Fall Vegetables and Tofu Stew
This delicious vegan vegetable and tofu Stew is the perfect recipe to enjoy a cold fall day.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dinner
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 cups of vegetable broth
- 6 sliced carrots
- 1 onion, cut into 6
- 3 cups of fresh yellow and green beans
- 1 diced turnip
- 1 cabbage, cut into 6
- Small potatoes
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. Dijon’s mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Add the oil to the large saucepan and brown the tofu with the onion powder and garlic powder for 5 minutes
- Add the vegetable broth, carrots, onion, turnip, cabbage, potatoes, Dijon mustard, soy sauce, garlic and spices.
- Cover and simmer for 50 minutes.
- Add the green and yellow beans and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with a slice of country bread to soak in the broth
Keywords: stew, vega, vegetarian, tofu