I like Tofu General Tso’s, but it’s hard to find a good restaurant that makes a vegan version. So I thought, “Why not make this recipe homemade at home? I tried and it’s really divine!
I knew I wanted to have a good crispy tofu. I then looked for different ways to fry the tofu, I used a method called “shallow” frying, which means that the entire object is not submerged in the oil. It was easy and it worked well.
This tofu was so good, even without the sauce. This is by far the best replica of any Asian food I have made. You can certainly use this sauce with vegetables. You can also change the amount of spices by increasing or reducing red pepper flakes.
Good recipes that goes well with this tofu General Tso’s:
General tso’s Tofu
This is by far the best replica of any Asian food that I have made. You can definitely use this sauce with vegetables.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: Asian
- ¼ cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 C. baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 454 g firm tofu (diced)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 green onions (finely chopped)
- Sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 C. 1 tbsp fresh ginger (grated)
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. at the table ketchup
- 3 tbsp. tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- In a bowl, combine the soy milk, flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Blend until you have a smooth consistency. Add water if the dough is too thick.
- Place the tofu in the bowl and toss to coat the pieces with the mixture.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil, add the tofu and cook for 5 to 10 minutes so that all sides are golden brown. Turn off the heat, remove from the wok and set aside.
- Add water, rice vinegar and brown sugar to the wok.
- Using a whisk, dissolve the brown sugar completely.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the tamari sauce.
- Add the mixture of tamari sauce, hoisin sauce and ketchup to the wok.
- Open the heat to medium intensity and allow to thicken, stirring slightly.
- Return the tofu to the wok with the sauce, mix to coat the pieces well
- Add the green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve on a bed of rice, accompanied by sautéed vegetables.