A real treat! This Maple Syrup Cake is so delicious and easy to make! The recipe for this traditional dessert has been passed down from generation to generation for over 80 years.
This Maple Syrup Cake also call Pudding Chomeur meaning, Unemployed man’s pudding in english” is made from ingredients that are inexpensive and abundant. You’ll find it on the menu at diners and cafes all over Montreal Qc. Usually it’s made only with brown sugar, but in this recipe I also use maple syrup.
Canada produces 71% of the world’s pure maple syrup, 91% of which is produced in Quebec. Canada’s maple syrup producing regions are located in the provinces of Quebec (primary producer), Ontario, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. There are more than 8,600 maple syrup businesses in Canada. Quebec Maple Syrup Producers (PPAQ) ensure the economic, social and ethical interests for the more than 7,400 maple businesses in Quebec.
Maple syrup has long been part of Canada’s cultural fabric. The country’s -indigenous peoples taught the early settlers how to harvest sap and boil it to make maple syrup. Today, Canadian maple syrup is exported to approximately 50 countries, including the U.S., which is the primary importer. In 2017, Canada produced 12.5 million pounds of maple syrup exported 62.9 to the U.S. using reserve supply from previous years to support the growing exportation demand.
Maple Syrup Cake
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: DESSERT
- 1 1/2 cup FLOUR
- 1 tsp BAKING POWDER
- 1/4 cup VEGAN BUTTER *
- 3/4 cup SUGAR
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- Heat oven to 325 ° F. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Put aside.
- In a bowl, cream the butter. Gradually whisk in the sugar until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Pour in a quarter of the milk and flour. Mix. Repeat until all milk and flour are used up.
- Butter a 13 x 9 inch (32 x 22 cm) rectangular pan. Pour the batter. Reserve.
- In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Bring to a boil and let boil for a few moments.
- Pour the sauce over the dough. Do not mix.
- Bake at 325 ° F for 45 minutes.