A colorful Mexican Couscous Salad
This Mexican Couscous Salad is amazing and full of incredible flavors, not only is this couscous salad recipe healthy and nutritious, but also incredibly easy to make. Just cook couscous and mix it in a large bowl with the other ingredients, that’s it!
Formerly considered a North African delicacy, couscous is now consumed all over the world, in fact it is now easily found in all grocery stores.
Couscous is a cereal that has been made into small balls of durum wheat or semolina flour.
There are three types of couscous: Moroccan, Israeli and Lebanese. Moroccan couscous is the smallest and most easily available version. For this salad I used Moroccan couscous.
Keep your couscous in a cool and dry place so it will keep up to 1 year.
Couscous is rich in selenium
One of the most important nutrients in couscous is selenium. A single cup of couscous contains more than 60% of the recommended intake.
Selenium is an essential mineral with many health benefits. It is a powerful antioxidant that helps your body repair damage cells and decreases inflammation. In addition, it is essential for the proper functioning of the thyroid gland.
More Couscous Recipes
Mexican Couscous Salad
This Mexican Couscous Salad is amazing and full of incredible flavors Not only is this couscous salad recipe healthy and nutritious, but also incredibly easy to make.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 shallot (finely chopped )
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 can red beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 colored pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 cup black or green olives
- 1/4 cup cilantro (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Remove from the heat, and add the couscous. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Separate the beans with a fork and let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the ingredients for the dressing.
- In a bowl, mix the cooled couscous and the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the dressing and mix, serve.