This Spicy Mexican Bean Stew is really quick and easy to make. It's a weekly dish that's perfect for evenings when you don't feel like cooking. You just have to put the ingredients in a large saucepan and you're good to go.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red and green pepper, cubed
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 x 540 ml cans of soy beans or white beans
- 1 to 3 chipotle chili peppers in an adobo sauce chopped.
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ¾ cup fresh coriander
- 2 cups of frozen corn
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1 lime, quartered
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the onion and pepper into small cubes.
- In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the peppers, onion and garlic sauté for 5 minutes
- Add the white beans and chipotles mix well
- Add the vegetable broth and tomato paste, nutritional yeast, oregano, chili powder and corn
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, season to taste and add the fresh cilantro
- Serve over rice and garnish with black olives and lime wedge if desired
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Stew, Mexican, spicy, legumes