It was only a few years ago that I discovered squash. I remember vividly, I had tasted a squash soup that my friend had made. I was so blown away by the tastes that on the way home, I rushed to the grocery store to buy whatever kinds of squash I saw. When I got home I created lots of recipes, obviously there were a few trial and error, but the majority of the recipes were really tasty.
In this beautiful month of December, I really wanted to create a festive squash recipe! That’s why I used acorn squash, it looks like a holiday wreath with its wavy shape. Stuffed with a filling made from Apple, Quinoa and Spinach, in addition to being festive, this squash recipe is super healthyPrint
Stuffed Apples, Quinoa and Spinach Squash
Stuffed with a filling made from Apple, Quinoa and Spinach, in addition to being festive, this squash recipe is super healthy
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: main-dish
- 3/4 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 2 apples (diced)
- 1 yellow pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 C. a tea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup basil (fresh)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seed
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Cut a thin slice at the bottom of each squash to create a flat edge, so the squash can stand upright.
- Cut each squash in half horizontally. Remove the membranes and seeds from inside the squash.
- Place the squash on a baking sheet. Brush the inside with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the squash for about 45 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and broth to a medium saucepan . Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to maintain a low heat. Cover with the lid and cook until the liquid is gone and the quinoa is cooked.
- In a large saucepan , heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion, apples, yellow pepper for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sage, thyme, cardamom, maple syrup, spinach, salt and pepper. Mix
- Remove from the heat and add the cooked quinoa. Mix well.
- When the squash is ready, fill it with the stuffing mix.
- Add fresh basil and pomegranate seeds on top. To serve
Keywords: Squash, stuffed