Tempeh Skewers to Grill on the BBQ
Tempeh, I have to admit, has a distinctive and quite strong taste. When I first tasted tempeh, I didn’t really like it. However, today the recipe for Tempeh Skewers that I am offering you is absolutely delicious!
Plus, it’s very easy to get rid of the bitterness in tempeh by boiling it for 5 minutes before using it in your recipe. Only the nutty taste will remain!
Tempeh skewers with a little Asian flavor to serve with rice and vegetables of your choice.
Tempeh originates from Indonesia and is basically a block of soybeans that have been pressed together and fermented.
Although both are made from soybeans, tempeh is not the same as tofu. Tofu is made from crushed soybean curds which are then pressed into a block. Most importantly, tofu is not fermented, which gives it a milder taste than tempeh.
Tempeh is an excellent source of several important nutrients, earning it a well-deserved place on your menu. In particular, tempeh is a great source of protein, providing a whopping 15 grams in each 3-ounce serving. It ‘s also a great source of micronutrients such as manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, and riboflavin. Plus, it contains calcium and iron, both of which are essential nutrients that can be difficult to get on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: main dish
- Cuisine: BBQ
- 1 Block of Tempeh (frozen or fresh)
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 bell pepper in cubes
- 4 wooden sticks (soaked in water for 1 hour)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- salt, pepper to taste.
- Soak the wooden sticks in water for 1 hour
- During this time, take the time to boil your tempeh 5 minutes to remove aperture. You can leave it whole or cut it into cubes. Let cool.
- Cut the tempeh and vegetables into cubes. Add the tempeh and vegetables on the wooden chopsticks.
- In a bowl, add the soy sauce, canola oil, rice vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the marinade to the skewers and marinate for 2 to 8 hours.
- Cook on the BBQ over medium high heat for 15 to 20 minutes, making sure to turn the skewers so they can cook evenly.
- Serve with rice and vegetables if desired
Keywords: BBQ, Vegan,