Looking for an easy and delicious dinner? Look no further than this Teriyaki Tofu Stir-Fry! This dish is simple to make and full of flavor. The teriyaki sauce is perfect for coating the tofu and vegetables. Serve this stir-fry over some cooked rice or quinoa for a healthy and satisfying meal.
Here's a super easy-to-prepare crispy teriyaki tofu that can be made with whatever fresh vegetables you have on hand. I don't know about you, but I really like stir fry recipes that are versatile and can be cooked however you want. This teriyaki tofu stir fry is perfect for those busy weeknights when you don't have a lot of time to cook. It's also great for meal prep! You can make it ahead of time and then just reheat it when you're ready to eat.
If you've never cooked with tofu before, don't be intimidated! It's actually really easy to work with. Tofu is a great source of plant-based protein for vegetarians and vegans. It's also low in calories and fat. I like to use extra firm tofu for this recipe because it holds together well when stir-frying. However, you can use whatever type of tofu you prefer. Just be sure to use good press tofu before cooking so that it doesn't fall apart and you remove excess water.
See recipe for quantities
- Olive oil
- Bell pepper
- Soy sauce
- Corn starch
See recipe card for quantities
Notes on the ingredients
- For the block of tofu: I used extra-firm tofu, but you can use firm tofu. If using firm tofu, be sure to press it for at least 30 minutes before cooking. You can use a tofu press for that or place it in a paper towel and place 1 large can or heavy object on top
- For the kale: I used pre-washed and chopped kale, but you can use any type of kale or greens that you like.
- For the tamari sauce: I used gluten-free tamari sauce, but you can use soy sauce if you are not gluten-free.
- For the maple syrup: You can use any type of sweetener that you like, such as brown sugar, honey, or agave nectar.
- For the ginger: You can use fresh or ground ginger. If using ground ginger, start with ½ teaspoon and add more to taste.
- For the sambal oelek: This is a spicy chili paste. You can find it in the international aisle of the most grocery stores or online. Start with ½ teaspoon and add more to taste.
- For the toasted sesame oil: This is optional, but it adds a nice flavor.
- For the cornstarch: This is optional, but it helps to thicken the sauce.
In a pan over medium-high heat add the olive oil, pepper, onion, and mushrooms cook until the onion is caramelized, about 10 minutes.Remove from the pan and set aside.
In the same skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the tofu, cook the tofu on each side over medium high heat until it becomes crisp on the outside. About 12 to 15 minute
In a small bowl mix the sauce ingredients
Return the vegetables to the pan with the tofu and add the sauce, cook for 5 minutes. Add the kale for the last 2 minutes.
The teriyaki sauce is made by whisking together tamari sauce, maple syrup, ginger, sambal oelek, toasted sesame oil, water, and cornstarch.
Yes! This recipe is very versatile. Feel free to use any type of vegetable that you like.
Yes! You can make the teriyaki sauce ahead of time and store it in a jar in the fridge for up to 3-4 days
- For a vegan version: Use vegan tamari sauce or soy sauce.
- For a gluten-free version: Use gluten-free tamari sauce or soy sauce.
Teriyaki tofu Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 block (450g) extra firm tofu in cubes
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 1 bell pepper yellow, orange or red bell peppers cut into cubes
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pint white mushrooms sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan over medium high heat add the olive oil, pepper, onion and mushrooms cook until the onion caramelized, about 10 minutes
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the tofu, cook the tofu on each side over medium high heat until it becomes crisp on the outside. About 12 to 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl mix all the ingredients of the sauce.
- Return the vegetables to the pan with the tofu and add the sauce, cook for 5 minutes. Add the kale for the last 2 minutes.