It’s officially too hot to turn the oven on, which for my family means that it’s barbeque season! If I can figure out a way to throw dinner onto the grill rather than heat up my kitchen, that’s how it’s getting cooked. That’s why I love these grilled tofu and veggies in foil packets. It’s a full meal, complete with protein, starch, and veggies, all in one neat little package. And there’s little to no clean-up!
You can prepare these up to a day in advance so that they’re ready to be grilled, making them a great option for entertaining. Although I really like the convenience of cooking these on the grill, you can also cook them in the oven. If you’re feeling bohemian, you can eat dinner directly out of the packet, meaning you won’t even have to do dishes!
To make the tofu and veggies in foil pockets I use zucchini, potatoes, onions, bell peppers, and green beans, but you can use whatever vegetables are in season. For firmer veggies like carrots, cut them into smaller pieces so that they will have a chance to soften during cooking.
Start by cutting a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Don’t use the thin foil, otherwise the contents of your packet may end up on the bottom of your barbeque. Pile your veggies, potatoes, and tofu in the middle of the foil, drizzle on some olive oil, and season with an Asian spice mix to taste.
Here comes the best part. Place the packets on the grill on medium-high for about 10 minutes. Because the food is contained in the foil, you won’t even have to clean your grill when they’re done. Once the packets are cooked through, remove them from the heat.
When you’re ready to serve, drizzle on a tablespoon of the dressing of your choice. I like to use siracha sauce for a bit of a kick, but ranch dressing also works really well. Or, leave them completely plain – they are fully customizable.
Yes, you want to keep the steam inside your papillotes for a more even cooking.
Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil.
Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil.
Reynolds Wrap Pitmaster's Choice Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil.
Amazon Brand – Solimo Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil.
Daily Chef Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil For Food Service, BBQ & Catering.
Tofu and veggies in foil pockets on the grill
- 2 small potatoes small, sliced
- 1 larges onion sliced
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced sliced
- ½ lb green bean
- 8 ounces firm tofu sliced
- Asian spices mix to taste
- Siracha sauce if desired
- Cut a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil 24 in.
- Unfold the foil and place the vegetables and tofu in the middle on the foil.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Sprinkle with Asian spices, 1 /4 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoonful of pepper.
- Fold the foil over the vegetables and fold the sides to form a foil. Seal. (You can prepare the vegetable papillotes in advance. They will keep overnight in the refrigerator.)
- Set the barbecue to medium-high power. Place the vegetable papillotes on the barbecue grill. Close the lid and cook for 10 minutes
- When ready to serve, gently shake the foil to coat all the vegetables with the seasoning. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the dressing of your choice.