This Tofu Cacciatore stew is full of delicious vegetables
I know it's a bit funny to have the idea of making a Tofu Cacciatore since Cacciatore means hunter in Italian, hahaha ! Hunter or not, I'm sure this stew will appeal even to carnivores.
With its rich, rustic sauce this is a simple Italian comfort dish at its best! Easy to make and appreciated by the whole family, the aromas of Cacciatore fill your entire home with comfort and warmth when cooking in the oven!
Tofu is made from curdled fresh soy milk, which has been compressed into blocks. It is generally 100% gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan.
Tofu has a neutral flavor that easily absord any seasoning you want to add.
Tofu is a vegetarian protein rich in calcium and protein. Tofu is also a great source of amino acids and is low in calories. Try to buy your tofu Organic or GMO-free
There are two main categories of tofu – silky or firm. The silky tofu is soft and liquidy because it contains a high volume of water content. Firm tofu can be medium, firm or extra-firm. For this recipe, you will need firm or extra-firm tofu.
Confort Food Recipes
- 14 ounce extra firm tofu cut in cubes
- 4 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 package mushrooms sliced
- 1 bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 potatoes cubed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1 can 28 ounce diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons parsley for garnish
- ½ cup green olives pitted
- Preheat the oven to 375 ° C.
- Cut the tofu into cubes and season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to an dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, add the tofu and let it brown.
- Flip and brown - about 2 minutes per side. Remove the tofu and set aside.
- In the same dutch oven, add the 2 tbsp. remaining olive oil and add the peppers, mushrooms and onion. Let the peppers and onion soften.
- Stir in the minced garlic, tomatoes and tomato paste. Season with thyme and oregano.
- Add white wine or vegetable broth to the carrots and potatoes.
- Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Add the olives, then return the tofu to the ovenproof pot.
- Cover and put in the oven for 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven, add the peas, wait 5 minutes
- Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately