This tofu with mushroom gravy is a recipe that is out of the ordinary. Super tasty with its smooth and creamy mushroom sauce.
I often serve this tofu and mushroom gravy recipe when I have family and friends over for dinner, it really is a simple recipe that is loved by all even the meat lover! You can prepare everything in advance and this will make it easier for you to spend time with your guests instead of being alone preparing the meal in the kitchen.
Mushrooms can become slimy and develop brown spots within just a few days. Lots of theories seem to exist about the best way to store mushrooms: in a paper bag, wrapped in damp paper towels, in a sealed container.
Surprisingly, the best way to store mushrooms is in their original packaging. You just put the mushrooms directly in the fridge still in their wrapped container.
Recipes with Mushroom
tofu with mushroom gravy
- Preheat the oven to 400 ˚F
- Cut the tofu into slices and place it on a baking sheet
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Bake for 20 minutes
- While the tofu is in the oven, prepare the sauce
- Heat the oil over medium heat, add the onion and sliced mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the flour, continue cooking and stir for about 5 minutes until it's absorbed by the mushrooms. Add the broth, stirring until the liquid is incorporated and thickened, there should be no lumps.
- Season with black pepper and thyme. Simmer at low boil over medium-low heat until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring often.