Are you looking for a delicious and easy-to-make potato salad that will be a hit at your next summer cookout or family gathering, look no further than this red-skin potato salad! Bursting with flavor and packed with nutrients, this creamy potato salad is an easy recipe and the perfect side dish for summer barbecues.
The combination of tender red-skinned potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, and crisp bacon go perfectly together. The creamy dressing gives a smooth texture to the salad. Last but not least the fresh dill gives an extra burst of flavor that takes this potato salad to the next level.
You will need these simple ingredients you can easily find at your grocery store.
- red skin potatoes unpeeled
- hard-boiled eggs
- red onion
- heavy cream
- rice vinegar or red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- fresh dill
- black Pepper
- crispy bacon bits
Optional garnish: green onions, crunchy dill pickles, or other fresh herbs like parsley or basil.
See recipe card for quantities
Notes on the ingredients
Red Potatoes: Red potatoes are the perfect choice for this recipe because they hold their shape well.
Hard-Boiled Eggs: The hard-boiled eggs add protein and a creamy texture to the potato salad..
Red Onion: The red onion adds a sweet and tangy flavor.
Mayo: The mayo provides the base for the creamy mayonnaise dressing. You can use regular or low-fat mayo depending on your preference.
Heavy Cream: The heavy cream adds richness and creaminess to the dressing.
Rice Vinegar: The rice vinegar adds a tangy sweet flavor.
Fresh Dill: The fresh dill adds a fresh flavor to the potato salad.
Bacon Bits: The bacon bits add a crunchy and savory flavor to the potato salad.
How to make this red skin potato salad: step by step
Wash the red potatoes and cut them into small cubes about 1 inch. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Add a pinch of salt to the water and bring it to a boil. Cook the potatoes until they are tender, but still firm, about 10-15 minutes. Drain potatoes and rinse under cold water, reserve at room temperature
In a large bowl, combine the cooked potatoes, eggs, red onion, bacon and dill.
In a medium bowl, mix together the mayo, heavy cream, rice vinegar, salt, and black pepper.
Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and stir until everything is coated.
Chill the potato salad in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving
Variations of the recipe
If you want to switch things up and add your own twist to this easy potato salad recipe, there are plenty of variations you can try.
Add diced crunchy celery or carrots for added crunch and flavor.
Use Greek yogurt or sour cream instead of mayo.
Add some diced jalapeno for a spicy kick.
Add some chopped pickles for a tangy crunch.
What can I serve with this red potato salad?
- Grilled meats: Potato salad pairs well with grilled meats such as steak, grilled chicken, pork chops, hot dogs or burgers.
- Sandwiches and wraps: Potato salad makes a great accompaniment to sandwiches and wraps.
- Seafood dishes: Serve potato salad with seafood dishes like grilled fish, shrimp, or crab cakes. The creamy and tangy potato salad balances the flavors of the seafood.
- Picnic or potluck fare: Potato salad is a classic addition to picnics and potlucks. It pairs well with other picnic staples like fried chicken, deviled eggs, coleslaw, or baked beans.
If you have leftover salad, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Be sure to stir it well before serving to redistribute the dressing.
Yes, you can use a different type of potato like Yukon Gold or russet potatoes if you prefer. However, red potatoes work best in this recipe because of their ability to hold their shape when cooked.
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time. However, it is best to wait to add the bacon bits until just before serving so that they remain crunchy.
Yes, you can use dried dill instead of fresh dill.
Red skin Potato Salad
- 4 pounds red skin potatoes unpeeled
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 small red onion
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black Pepper
- 3 tablespoons crispy bacon bits
- Wash the red potatoes and cut them into small cubes about 1 inch. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Add a pinch of salt to the water and bring it to a boil. Cook the potatoes until they are tender, but still firm, about 10-15 minutes. Drain potatoes and rinse under cold water, reserve at room temperature.
- While the potatoes are cooking, boil the eggs until they are hard-boiled. Once cooked, let them cool and then peel them. Chop them into small pieces.
- Finely chop the red onion and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mayo, heavy cream, rice vinegar, salt, and black pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked potatoes, eggs, red onion, bacon and dill.
- Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and stir until everything is coated.
- Chill the potato salad in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving