The Star of this Vegan Mac and Cheese; Cashew !
When we look at alternatives to cheese, cashews are often used for their creamy side. The Basic Recipe for making this Vegan Mac and Cheese sauce is very simple. For the cheesy taste, we use nutritional yeast and for the beautiful orange color we use carrots. You end up with a creamy and smooth sauce.
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- 2 cups carrots diced
- 2 cups plant-base milk
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 onion
- ¼ tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 cups cooked pasta of your choice
- Soak the cashews in a bowl of hot water for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain. Combine all ingredients in a blender on high speed until smooth and creamy. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, pour the sauce into a large saucepan to heat over medium heat.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained, put it in the saucepan with the cheese sauce and mix well.