This creamy homemade vegan pasta alla vodka is the perfect recipe for a romantic evening or a dinner with friends!
This vegan pasta alla vodka recipe it’s very simple to prepare and I promise you’ll never want to go back to the store-bought sauce.
Yes, yes, the vodka sauce contains vodka! Although the alcohol, which is almost cooked when you serve it. It turns out that vodka helps to emulsify the sauce, creating an ultra rich and velvety texture. In fact, it’s pretty hard to describe the really luxurious texture of vodka sauce, but I’d say it’s somewhere between tomato cream and a tasty marinara.
Did you think that going vegan means you have to give up all your favorite creamy foods and desserts? Think again. The rich fat content of cashews (mostly heart-healthy fats!) makes them a perfect substitute for heavy cream. You’ll be astonished as to how rich and creamy the result is, and it’s nearly indistinguishable from dairy cream, but with a fraction of the fat and calories
The health benefits of cashews center on their excellent nutritional value. Cashew nuts have a lower fat content and a higher protein and carbohydrate content than most other nuts. The fat that they do contain is mostly (65 percent) derived from oleic acid, a monounsaturated oil with known benefits in protecting against heart disease and cancer. Although cashew nuts are lower in vitamin E and calcium than most nuts, they are a good source of protein, magnesium, potassium, iron, and zinc.
Vegan pasta alla vodka
- ½ cup cashews soaked in boiling water 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28 ounces can of diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup vodka
- ½ teaspoon of salt and more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil for serving
- Drain and rinse the cashews
- Add the cashews in food processor or blender with ¼ cup of water. Mix gently until you have a smooth texture. (like cream)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion. Sauté for about five minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for one minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and vodka. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low. Continue cooking over low heat for about fifteen minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cashew mixture to the sauce and cook for another 5 minutes, until everything is hot. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over pasta and garnish with fresh basil
- Top with vegan parmesan if desired