If you're looking for a delicious, easy recipe with simple ingredients to add to your menu, look no further than air fryer bbq chicken drumsticks. These are perfect for the whole family, and they're so easy to make that anyone can do it. Plus, the air fryer ensures that your chicken will be perfectly cooked every time. They are also the perfect solution for a busy weeknights dinner.
These air fryer BBQ chicken drumsticks are perfect for a quick and healthy meal any time of year. This recipe is simple to follow and only requires a few ingredients, so it's perfect for a weeknight meal or a casual gathering with friends. So fire up your air fryer and give these chicken drumsticks a try today!
This recipe pairs well with this Healthy Potato Salad
- chicken drumsticks with skin
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- olive oil
- barbecue sauce
- nonstick cooking spray
See recipe card for quantities.
In a large bowl, mix the spices, olive oil, and BBQ sauce.
Add the chicken to the bowl and mix until the drumsticks are well coated with the sauce.
Place the drumsticks in the air fryer basket in a single layer, select 380 ˚F and cook for 20 minutes turning halfway through cooking. (depending on the size of the drumsticks, the time may vary, make sure the internal temperature in the thickest part of the chicken is at 165 degrees.)
Serve hot, garnish with fresh parsley.
Hint: The amount of salt and pepper is up to you. I usually go light on the salt because the BBQ sauce can be quite salty.
There are so many delicious variations of this recipe! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Add some cumin to the spice mix for a smoky flavor.
- Swap out the BBQ sauce for your buffalo sauce or teriyaki sauce.
- Try using chicken thighs instead of drumsticks.
- Add cayenne pepper if you want a spicier version
· Air Fryer
· medium or a large bowl
- You can use any chicken for this recipe, but I find that drumsticks work best. Depending on your preference, you can also use bone-in or boneless chicken breast.
- I like to use a mix of chili powder, oregano, and garlic powder for the seasoning, but you can really use any combination of spices that you like.
- The amount of salt and pepper is up to you. I usually go light on the salt because the BBQ sauce can be quite salty.
- You can also make the same recipe with chicken breasts
- You can cook the chicken at any temperature you like, but I find that 380 degrees Fahrenheit works well. If you want darker and crispier skin, you can go up to 400 ˚F, but keep an eye on them to ensure they don't burn.
- The cooking time will vary depending on the drumsticks' size, so check the chicken's internal temperature to ensure that it is cooked through. The safe cooking temperature is 165 degrees.
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect air fryer chicken drumsticks:
- Make sure to coat the chicken evenly with the sauce. This will help ensure that it cooks evenly.
- To avoid sticking, make sure to spray the basket of the air fryer with cooking spray before adding the chicken.
- To make sure that the chicken is cooked use a meat thermometer
How do you keep the cook drumsticks?
The best way to keep air fryer chicken drumsticks is to store them in an airtight container in the fridge. They will last for up to four days.
Can I Freeze the cooked drumsticks?
Yes, you can freeze the drumsticks. Just place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. They will last for up to three months. When ready to eat them, simply thaw them in the fridge.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can definitely make this recipe ahead of time. Just mix the spices, olive oil, and BBQ sauce in a bowl. Coat the chicken in the mixture, and store it in the fridge. When ready, cook according to the instructions.
I would not recommend using frozen chicken for this recipe. The cooking time will be much longer, and the chicken may not be cooked through.
There are so many delicious options! I love to serve air fryer chicken drumsticks with a side of roasted vegetables, a simple coleslaw, or a potato salad. You could also serve them with rice or mashed potatoes. The possibilities are endless!
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 Air fryer
- 1 large Bowl
- 6 chicken drumsticks with skin
- 1 teaspoon chili
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- non stick cooking spray
- Pad dry the chicken with paper towels
- In a large bowl, mix the spices, olive oil, and BBQ sauce.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and mix until the drumsticks are well coated with the sauce.
- Place the drumsticks in the air fryer basket in a single layer, select 380 ˚F and cook for 20 minutes turning halfway through cooking. (depending on the size of the drumsticks, the time may vary, make sure the internal temperature in the thickest part of the chicken is at 165 degrees.)
- Serve hot, garnish with fresh parsley.