Craving some Chinese food? Well, look no further because I have a great recipe for you – an easy Inside Out Egg Roll! This dish is simple to make and it's full of Asian flavor. Plus, it's a fun way to change up your usual dinner routine.
Eat your egg roll in a bowl and skip the egg roll wrappers. This inside-out egg roll bowl is packed with all of your favorite egg roll ingredients – cabbage, carrots, beef, and green onions – but it's a lot easier to make. And it's just as delicious as a classic egg roll.
Looking for more easy recipes? Check out these Bowl recipes for more inspiration.
- Hoisin sauce
- Ground beef or beefless ground if you are vegetarian
- Red shredded cabbage (I use the food processor)
- Carrots in ribbon or shredded
- Rice Wine vinegar
- Spring onion
- Sesame seeds
See recipe card for quantities
Step-by-step with photos
Step 1: In a wok or large skillet add the olive over medium heat. Once the olive oil is hot add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
Step 2: Add the beef and cook until it's completely cooked. About 10 minutes
Step 3: Add the rest of the ingredients, and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the vegetables are softened
- Be sure to chop your fresh vegetables into small pieces so they will cook evenly.
- You can use any type of rice you like, but I prefer white rice because it has a neutral flavor.
- These egg rolls are best served fresh, but you can store leftovers in the fridge for up to three days.
- Serve with a side of hot sauce for an extra kick of flavor.
Yes, you can make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to three days.
Yes, you can freeze leftovers for up to three months. Just be sure to thaw them before reheating.
You can really use any type of vegetable you like. Some other good options include broccoli, zucchini, and mushrooms.
Yes, you can omit the rice if you're looking for a low-carb option. Just be sure to increase the amount of vegetables you use. Alternatively, you can substitute quinoa or cauliflower rice for the white rice.
What are the taste and the texture of egg rolls bowl?
The egg rolls bowl is savory with a slight crunch from the vegetables. The rice vinegar adds a touch of acidity, while the sesame seeds add a nutty flavor and texture.
- For a spicier dish, add a few drops of hot sauce to the filling.
- For a sweeter dish, add a tablespoon of honey to the filling.
- For a more savory dish, add additional tamari sauce or soy sauce to taste.
- If you want a heartier dish, you can add cooked chicken, shrimp, or tofu to the filling.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 ½ cup ground beef or impossible meat if you are vegetarian
- ¾ cup red cabbage shredded
- 3 larges carrots in ribbon or shredded
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 cups rice
- 2 spring onion finely chopped
- Coriander and sesame seeds to taste
- In a wok or large skillet add the olive overmedium-high heat. Once the olive oil is hot add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beef, and cook for 10 minutes, until it's complety cooked
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the fresh cilantro and spring onion, and cook for another 5 minutes until the vegetable has softened.
- Serve over rice, garnish with spring onions, cilantro and sesame seeds