This new recipe of Tuscan bean Salad is fresh and a good option if you are craving a simple salad with Mediterranean flavors. It's also a versatile dish that can be a refreshing side, a light lunch, or even a main course with some crusty bread on the side.
This dish is also a great option for a main dish, and healthy lunch on hot summer days. It’s also potluck favorite because the longer it sits at room temperature, the more time the bean mixture is marinated in the dressing.
- Chickpeas: I use canned chickpeas but you can also use dry ones that you cooked
- kidney beans: Same as the chickpeas, I use canned kidneys but you can use dry.
- Tomatoes: Roma tomatoes are the best for this recipe
- Cucumber: You can keep the skin, just give it a good wash. I like to soak it for a few minutes in water with 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- Bell pepper: Choose the color that you love red, yellow or orange
- Green Onion: you can substitute with shallots or 1 small red onion
- Dijon Mustard
- Maple Syrup: You can also use honey or agave syrup.
- Olive oil: If you prefer a more neutral oil use avocado oil.
- Cilantro: Use fresh cilantro
See recipe card for quantities
How to make the Tuscan Bean Salad, step-by-step with photos
Add the ingredients of the dressing to a bowl and mix it.
Put the salad ingredients in a bowl.
Pour the dressing over the salad and let it macerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Any type of bean will work in this recipe – chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans, or pinto beans. You can even go crazy and add green or wax beans for an entirely different look. Mix and match different combinations for a different texture and taste every time you make this dish.
You can use cooked beans or canned, it’s entirely up to your preference. If you are using canned, rinse them well so that the starchy canning liquid does not affect the salad.
You can keep the bean salad in the fridge for up to 4 days, do not freeze as the veggies will change their texture and get soggy.
- Let it marinate: Once you've combined all the ingredients, allow the salad to marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour. This will allow the flavors to meld together and develop a more vibrant taste.
- Adjust seasoning: Before serving, taste the salad and adjust the seasoning if necessary. You may need to add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice to balance the flavors according to your preferences.
- Serve at the right temperature: Tuscan bean salad can be served chilled or at room temperature. Both ways are delicious, so choose the option that suits your preference or the occasion.
- Customize as desired: Feel free to customize the salad based on your preferences and the ingredients you have on hand. You can add diced avocado, crumbled feta cheese, or toasted pine nuts for extra richness and texture.
Beans: You can use any type of beans you want. (white beans Cannellini beans and navy beans are good choices)
Kalamata olive: You can use pitted green olive
Green onion: You can use 1 shallot or 1 small red onion finely diced
Maple syrup: Agave syrup or honey will also work
Cilantro: fresh herbs like parsley and basil will also work
Here are some other ingredients you can add to the salad:
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Feta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Peppery arugula
- artichoke hearts
- For more kick add ½ teaspoon of red peppers flakes
Tuscan bean Salad
- 1 can 19 oz chickpeas
- 1 can 19 oz kidney beans
- 2 bell pepper diced
- 1 cup tomatoes diced, or you can also use cherry tomatoes cut in half.
- 2 small cucumber sliced or 1 English cucumber
- ¼ cup kalamata olives halfway
- 2 slices green onion sliced
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- the juice of a lime or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and prepare all the ingredients. Put the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the ingredients of the dressing in a small bowl. l and mix it. Mix everything until well combined
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and mix until all the ingredients are well coated
- Macerate 30 minutes before serving