Cold salads are a handy grab-and-go meal for office lunches, but they tend to get a little boring. That’s why I love a good rice salad to switch up my midday routine. This basmati Rice Salad with Edamame with yummy veggies is delightful.
Rice salad is versatile and also appreciated as a side dish as it is as a meal version. Refreshing, it is one of the big favorites on summer tables.
You can savor The Basmati Rice Salad with Edamame in the sun during the lunch break at the office as much as we serve it with our favorite grills during meals on the terrace.
The main Ingredients
Basmati is a variety of rice traditionally grown in India and Pakistan. It is longer than white rice, and has a distinctive flavor and aroma that goes very well with mint. It’s also lower on the glycemic index than regular white rice or jasmine, making it more diabetic friendly. If you aren’t a fan, try jasmine or brown rice instead. The secret to getting perfect fluffy rice (of any variety!) is a rice cooker, but you can’t go wrong following the package directions.
For veggies, I chop up bell pepper, red onion, celery, and cucumber.
Edamame beans, which are actually just young soybeans. They’re served in Japanese restaurants as an appetizer, and they’re loaded with low-fat protein. Frozen edamame is so convenient to have on hand, allowing you to skip the cooking and shelling. Just put the beans into a medium bowl and pour them into boiling water. Let it sit for 5 minutes, and you’ll have a bowl of ready-to-eat edamame.
The dressing is one of my favorites and uses rice vinegar which is sweet and tangy, a nice balance to the maple syrup
Once you have everything ready, mix the salad up with the dressing and add some freshly chopped mint. You can add the dressing the night before if you’d like, as this salad is firm enough that it won’t get soggy.
No, since the veggies will lose their crunchy texture if you freeze them.
You can keep it for up to four days in the fridge, which will cover you for almost a full week of work lunches. I like to pack my salads in a mason jar to show off how pretty they are!
basmari rice salad with edamame
- 3 cups basmati rice cooked
- 2 bell pepper diced
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 3 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 English cucumber diced
- ½ cup fresh mint finely chopped
- 1 cup edamame frozen
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the rice as indicated on the packaging. Once cooked, rinse it with cold water to remove the starch.
- Wash and chopped all of your vegetables
- Place frozen edamame in a medium bowl and pour boiling water on top, let it sit for 5 minutes
- In a small bowl add all the ingredients of the dressing and mix well to combine everything.
- In a large bowl add the rice, the vegetable, the edamame, the mint and pour the dressing, mix well
- Serve cold
- This salad will keep up in the fridge up to 4 days.
- You can use any type of long grain rice in this recipe.