Experience a burst of refreshing flavors with this Thai Mango Salad recipe. Packed with juicy mangoes, crunchy red peppers, and nutty peanuts alongside a tangy dressing, this salad is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Follow this easy recipe for a delicious and healthy addition to your next meal.
This zesty and refreshing dish will transport your taste buds to the vibrant streets of Thailand. Serve it as a vibrant side dish or as light lunch.
Here are the simple ingredients you will need to make this thai-inspired mango salad
- red bell pepper red onion or green onion
- chopped peanuts
- fresh cilantro chopped
- sesame seeds
- lime juice or lemon juice rice vinegar
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
- honey or brown sugar or maple syrup
- black pepper
optional garnish: red pepper flakes, crisp bean sprouts,
See the recipe card for quantities
Step-by-step with photos
Step 1: Start by preparing the fruits and vegetables. With a vegetable peeler remove the skin of the fresh mango and cut the mangoes into thin strips. With a sharp knife cut the red pepper and red onion into thin slices.
Step 2: In a large bowl, combine the mango, red bell pepper, red onion, peanuts, sesame seeds, and cilantro. Toss to evenly distribute the ingredients.
Step 3: To make the dressing, in a separate small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, salt, and pepper.
Pour the dressing over the salad, ensuring all components are well-coated.
Step 4: Give the salad a final toss.
Serve the Thai Mango Salad immediately or refrigerate for a short period to allow flavors to meld.
Thai mango salad is incredibly versatile, and there are many variations you can make depending on your tastes. For example, you could add more ingredients like cucumber for extra crunch, or some shredded coconut for a hint of sweetness. You could also replace the peanuts with cashews or almonds for a different texture and flavor profile. If you want to make a spicy dressing add some chili flakes or chopped chili pepper will do the trick! You can also cube chicken breasts to add protein to the salad and make it a delicious light meal.
Tips for making this delicious Thai mango salad:
- Choose ripe mangoes: Opt for mangoes that are ripe but still firm. They should have a vibrant color and a sweet aroma. This will ensure that you get that perfect burst of sweetness in every bite.
- Master the art of slicing: When slicing the mangoes and red pepper, aim for thin, even strips. This will not only enhance the visual appeal but also create a delightful texture in the salad.
- Customize the heat level: If you prefer a spicy salad, feel free to add some sliced chili peppers or a dash of hot sauce. Adjust the heat to your liking and embrace the burst of flavors that spices can bring.
- For best results let it marinate: To intensify the flavors, you can let the salad marinate in the dressing for about 10-15 minutes before serving. This will allow the ingredients to absorb the dressing, resulting in an even more tantalizing taste experience.
- Serve it chilled: For a refreshing burst, refrigerate the salad for at least 30 minutes before serving. The chilled temperature will enhance the overall experience, especially on a hot summer's day.
- Adjust the dressing to your taste: Taste the dressing before pouring it over the salad and make any necessary adjustments. If you prefer a tangier flavor and a tart taste, add more lime juice. If you like it sweeter, increase the amount of honey.
To store any leftover Thai Mango Salad, place it in an airtight container and refrigerate. It is recommended to consume leftovers within 1-2 days, as the flavors will fade and the texture may become soggy over time.
For the best flavor and texture, choose ripe firm mangoes that are still slightly firm. Ripe mangos will have a sweet aroma and should yield to gentle pressure when squeezed. The flesh should be a bright yellow or orange color, with some red blush along the cheeks of the fruit.
This versatile Salad is delightful when served with grilled or pan-seared fish, chicken, shrimp, or tofu. Alternatively, accompany the salad with a bowl of jasmine rice or rice noodles for a filling and nutritious meal.
Thai Mango Salad
- 2 mangoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Start by preparing the fruits and vegetables. With a vegetable peeler remove the skin of the fresh mango and cut the mangoes into thin strips. With a sharp knife cut the red pepper and red onion into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the mango, red bell pepper, red onion, peanuts, sesame seeds, and cilantro. Toss to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- To make the dressing, in a separate small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, ensuring all components are well-coated.
- Give the salad a final toss.
- Serve the Thai Mango Salad immediately or refrigerate for a short period to allow flavors to meld.