This Squash and Pears Soup is perfect on a cold day !
This Squash and Pears Soup is definitely one of my favorites. It’s tasty, velvety and has a flavor that’s out of the ordinary.
It can be served as a starter or as a main course. If you serve it as a main course you can serve it with hummus ans crackers to make it a more complete meal.
Butternut squash is an orange-fleshed winter squash, celebrated for its versatility and sweet, nutty flavor.
Though commonly thought of as a vegetable, butternut squash is technically a fruit.
One cup (205 grams) of cooked butternut squash provides (1Trusted Source):
- Calories: 82
- Carbs: 22 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Vitamin A: 457% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
- Vitamin C: 52% of the RDI
- Vitamin E: 13% of the RDI
- Thiamine (B1): 10% of the RDI
- Niacin (B3): 10% of the RDI
- Pyridoxine (B6): 13% of the RDI
- Folate (B9): 10% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 15% of the RDI
- Potassium: 17% of the RDI
- Manganese: 18% of the RDI
As you can see, butternut squash is low in calories but loaded with important nutrients.
Aside from the vitamins and minerals listed above, it’s also a good source of calcium, iron, phosphorus, and copper.
Squash And Pears Soup
Perfect comfort soup for cold fall days. This squash soup is definitely one of my favorites. It is tasty, velvety and has a flavor that is out of the ordinary.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Soup
- 1 butternut squash, cubed
- 3 cubed potatoes
- 2 chopped onions
- 5 pears, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp. Curry
- 6 cups of vegetable broth ((super good price at Costco!))
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- Peel and cut the squash, potatoes and pears into pieces. Slice the onions
- Brown all the vegetables and pears in the olive oil for about ten minutes.
- Add the maple syrup, turmeric, curry and broth and season. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk,
- Reduce everything in the blender or with a hand blender. Adjust the seasoning.
- Garnish with oven-roasted pumpkin seeds, sprouts and squash if desired. Serve hot