There is nothing like a good Easy Vegan Corn Chowder with vegetables on a rainy summer day !! Creamy with an unparalleled taste, try it I promise you will love it.
Chowders were originally brought to North America from English and French seafarers, and it quickly became a favorite dish at Fourth of July celebrations. It is a popular dish in New England particularly, known for the simple ingredients and the way it sticks to your ribs on a cool rainy day. It’s different from regular soup because of its thick, creamy texture, usually achieved with cream or milk.
The main ingredients
Corn: One of the best things about this recipe is that you can use frozen corn, making this dish easy to throw together at any time of year. You can definitely use fresh corn sliced off the cob as well, just adjust the amount of vegetable broth you add.
Coconut Milk: This adds a creamy consistency to the chowder.
Potatoes: Cubed potatoes provide some extra substance.
Parsley: Add a fresh taste to the dish
Cider vinegar: Cider vinegar is a traditional ingredient found in many types of chowder, and though it may seem like an odd addition, it brings just enough acidity to enhance the other flavors in the dish.
Red pepper: The red pepper adds a pop of color to an otherwise monocratic dish
Start by sautéing your veggies, adding the corn last. You just want to soften them up a bit, not sear them. Simmer your ingredients together in the vegetable broth and coconut milk for fifteen minutes, or until your potatoes are tender. I always adjust the seasoning at the end, because the potatoes tend to absorb a lot of the salt.
Served with rice or quinoa this dish is hearty and satisfying. I’m confident that this dish will become a favorite of yours as well.
It is because chowder is practically one kind of soup. Basically, chowder is a thicker kind of soup as it is cream-based while soup, in general, is usually made much thinner and has broth
You can keep the corn chowder in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days, do not freeze.
Easy Vegan Corn Chowder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion cut into cubes
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 larges potatoes cut into cubes cut into cubes
- 2 cups corn frozen or fresh
- 1 red pepper cut into cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- Salt pepper
- 4 cups cooked rice or quinoa as a side
- Fresh coriander or parsley for garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the oil, onion and a few pinches of salt.
- Cook 1-2 minutes and add garlic, celery and potatoes cook for another minute.
- Add the corn in the saucepan with red pepper.
- Then add the vinegar, the vegetable broth, the bay leave and the coconut milk.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes
- Adjust the seasoning serve with rice or quinoa
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro
This article contains affiliate links. Click here to view the disclosure policy. I recommend only the products I know and love!