This Healthy Vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea Stew Recipe is full of flavors.
I don’t know about you, but I think in the fall and winter months there is nothing better than a good warm and comforting stew to make us a little appreciated the colder days.
If you like Stew recipes you can find more in this post Fall Vegan and Vegetarian Recipes
You can serve this Vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea Stew with rice or quinoa for an even more complete meal! I also like to serve this stew with Naan bread that I can dip in the sauce. You can also vary this recipe by adding spinach or fresh kale leaves and changing the chickpeas with another kind of legume, such as white beans, lima beans or completely replacing them with frozen edamame
This stew makes 8 servings so if you are alone and you don’t want to eat leftovers all week, you can easily freeze it, it will keep up 3 months in the freezer
Coconut milk (full fat or light)
See recipe card for quantities
Finely chop the onion. Peel the sweet potato and cut it into cubes about 1 inch.
Over medium heat, cook the chopped onion and garlic cloves in the oil for about 2 minutes.
Add the sweet potatoes cook for another 3 minutes
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, coconut milk and spices.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve immediately with rice if desired
No, you just cook the sweet potatoes with the rest of the ingredients
You don't have to peel sweet potatoes before cooking them. However, most people prefer the smoother texture of peeled potatoes, especially in sweet dishes like sweet potato pie. If you keep the skins on your sweet potatoes, please remember to wash and scrub them well before cooking them
More Sweet Potatoes Recipes
If you love sweet potato as much as I do here are other recipes with this little vegetable wonder as the main ingredient
Vegan Sweet Potato Stew
- Finely chop the onion and the garlic. Peel the sweet potato and cut it into cubes about 1 inch.
- Over medium heat, in a large pot cook the chopped onion and garlic cloves in the oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes cook for another 3 minutes
- Add the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, coconut milk and spices, stir to combine everything Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve on top of rice if desired