It's winter, so time to cook some comfort food, like this Spicy White Bean Stew
This Easy Mexican Bean Stew is really quick and easy to make. It's a weekly dish that's perfect for evenings when you don't feel like cooking. You just have to put the ingredients in a large saucepan and you're good to go.
For this recipe, you need chipotle peppers in the abodo sauce. You will find these peppers in the Mexican section that your grocery store. They are sold in a can.
Depending on whether you like spicy food or not, you can choose to add as many chili peppers as you want. I wouldn't go more than three or your mouth will be on fire! In a can you will end up with about fifteen peppers, so to keep them you can place them on a baking sheet, put them in the freezer and once frozen you can place them in a container. They will keep for up to 6 months in the freezer
Spicy White Bean Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red and green pepper cubed
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 cans (540ml) white beans
- 1 to 3 chipotle chili peppers in an adobo sauce chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast optional
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¾ cup fresh coriander
- 2 cups corn frozen
- ¼ cup black olives sliced
- 1 lime quartered
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the onion and pepper into small cubes.
- In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the peppers, onion and garlic sauté for 5 minutes
- Add the white beans and chipotles mix well
- Add the vegetable broth and tomato paste, nutritional yeast, oregano, chili powder and corn
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, season to taste and add the fresh cilantro
- Serve over rice and garnish with black olives and lime wedge if desired