This tofu Power is perfect to start the new year!
Here's a super easy-to-prepare Tofu Power Bowl that can be made with whatever vegetables you have on hand. I don't know about you, but I really like recipes that are versatile and can be cooked however you want.
In my family everyone loves tofu, but our tastes are different for vegetables. The good thing about a recipe like this is that I prepare the bowls to suit everyone's taste while still making only just one meal.
I don't really make New Year's resolutions, but every year I challenge myself to improve my health, I'm in good physical shape, but I believe there is always room for improvement. Since I gave myself this challenge, I have developed several new lifestyle habits such as meditation and yoga, to eat vegan 80% I keep a small 20% of vegetarian food in my diet, I am not perfect and I don't have the intention to be either! For me what works best when creating new lifestyle habits is to start and just do it and if it's not perfect that's fine, the important is to do the best that you can and celebrate the little thing!
Tofu is made from curdled fresh soy milk, which has been compressed into blocks. It is generally 100% gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan.
Tofu has a neutral flavor that easily absorbs any seasoning you want to add.
Tofu is a vegetarian protein rich in calcium and protein. Tofu is also a great source of amino acids and is low in calories. Try to buy your tofu Organic or GMO-free
There are two main categories of tofu – silky or firm. The silky tofu is soft and liquid because it contains a high volume of water content. Firm tofu can be medium, firm, or extra-firm. For this recipe, you will need firm or extra-firm tofu.
Tofu Power Bowl
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 block (450g) extra firm tofu in cubes
- 6 cups kale drained
- 1 bell pepper cut into cubes
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pint white mushrooms sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan over medium high heat add the olive oil, pepper, onion and mushrooms cook until the onion caramelized, about 10 minutes
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the tofu, cook the tofu on each side over medium high heat until it becomes crisp on the outside. About 12 to 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the vegetables to the pan with the tofu and add the sauce, cook for 5 minutes. Add the kale for the last 2 minutes.