This Farmers’ Market Farro Grain Bowl can be served hot or cold. It’s a wonderful way to use up lots of fresh veggies in a colorful and appetizing dish.
I am so excited to share this Farmer’s Market Farro Bowl recipe. It uses crisp, savory tofu, and a delectable herb dressing that will have you channeling your inner green goddess. I call this dish the Farmers’ Market Bowl because it’s packed with lovely fresh veggies and herbs. And of course, while it’s always best when you’re able to get your produce from a local stand, you can certainly find these ingredients at your grocery store as well.
Are you familiar with farro? It’s a high-protein, minimally processed ancient grain that shows up frequently in Mediterranean diets. It’s chewy, somewhat like barley, and has remained more or less unchanged over the last couple hundred years. It’s sometimes confused with spelt, and while they’re similar in texture and taste, they are distinct grains.
- Savory Baked Tofu
- Simple Fresh Herb Vinaigrette
- Farro Grains
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Spring Onion
See the recipe card for quantities.
Make the Fresh Herb Vinaigrette
Cook the Savory Baked Tofu
Prepare all your vegetables
Cook the Farro grain
Wash and place the spinach at the bottom of the bowl
Top with farro, tofu, tomato, radishes, and spring onion.
Drizzle herb dressing on top
Can be served warm or cold.
There are varying methods to cooking farro, but I treat it similar to pasta. Rinse it in cold water first to remove any excess starch. Then add it to lightly salted boiling water, and drain once tender. It can take up to 40 minutes to cook, depending on the variety. Pearl farro will cook much quicker than whole farro.
The bowl is perfect for meal prep, all the ingredients in this bowl can be kept in the fridge up for a week.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Originally from Ancient Mesopotamia, farro is a term used to describe any one of three ancient wheat grains: einkorn, emmer, or spelt. However, in the United States and Europe, the term farro generally refers to emmer wheat. (1)
Quinoa used to get all the attention as one of the most nutritious whole grains hailed as one of the best superfoods ever, but farro is quickly gaining popularity. ... While they're both high in fiber and protein, farro has slightly more carbs but also offers more calcium than quinoa.
Farmers Market Farro Grain Bowl
- Prepare the fresh herb vinaigrette and Savory Baked tofu
- Cook farro grain. Thereare varying methods to cooking farro, but I treat it similar to pasta. Rinse it in cold water first to remove anyexcess starch. Then add it to lightlysalted boiling water, and drain once tender. It can take up to 40 minutes to cook, depending on the variety
- Wash and place the spinach at the bottom of the bowl
- Layer your farro on top of the spinach, followed by tofu. Top with the rest of your fresh veggies, and drizzle the herb dressing over the top. This Farmers’ Market Bowl can be served hot or cold
- The bowl is perfect for meal prep, all the ingredients in this bowl can be kept in the fridge up for a week.
- These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.