This Southwest Tofu Scramble is a good way to start your day!
Are you missing scrambled eggs or simply want some originality for your mornings? Here's the perfect recipe, simple, tasty, ready in no time, scramble tofu is gaining a lot in popularity!
In addition to being a nutritious dish, this Southwest Tofu Scramble is super practical because you can prepare a large quantity during your meal of the week. In the morning you just have to heat the desired portion.
- Bell pepper
- Nutritional yeast
- soy sauce
- Vegetable oil
See recipe card for quantities
The preparation (step by step)
Crumble the tofu into small pieces and add the spices, soy sauce, and nutritional yeast. Mix to coat the tofu well and set aside for 10 minutes.
Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden, about 5 minutes.
Add the bell pepper and cook for two more minutes.
Add the tofu and cook for about 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until the tofu begins to dry out and crisp in spots.
Extra-firm tofu or firm tofu is the way to go.
Remove the tofu from the packaging and wrap it in a clean dish towel. Place the wrapped tofu between two cutting boards with a few cans on top. Leave to rest for about 15 minutes. You will notice the water dripping from the tofu. There are also tofu presses on the market if you prefer.
Use your hands to crumble the tofu into a bowl; mix with spices (ground turmeric will give your a golden hue). Mix until well coated. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
Other delicious breakfast recipes
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 14 ounce extra firm tofu drained and sponged
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce optional
- Set and black pepper to taste
- Crumble the tofu into small pieces and add the spices, tamari sauce and nutritional yeast. Mix to coat the tofu well and set aside 10 minutes.
- Over medium heat add the oil to a pan and add the onions.
- Cook onions, mixing occasionally, until onions are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper and garlic and cook for two more minutes,
- Add the tofu and cook for about 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until the tofu begins to dry and crisp.
- Remove the pan from the heat and season with hot sauce, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with toppings and side dishes of your choice.