This Veggies Pasta Salad is perfect for lunches
This Veggies Pasta Salad I’m sure will please the whole family!
Perfect for your lunch. It’s quick to prepare and will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Known for its milder flavor and tenderness, white pasta is sometimes called “refined.” Classic white is a great blank canvas for adding veggies and protein. From a nutritional stand point, white pasta is fortified with three major B vitamins (niacin, thiamin and riboflavin), iron and the B vitamin folic acid, which is critical in the prevention of some birth defects. In fact, enriched pasta contains six times more folic acid than its whole grain counterpart.
Whole-grain pasta is typically high in fiber, manganese, selenium, copper and phosphorus, while refined, enriched pasta tends to be higher in iron and B vitamins.
Whole-grain pasta is also lower in calories and higher in fiber and certain micronutrients than refined pasta.
Fiber moves through the gastrointestinal tract undigested and helps promote fullness. For this reason, whole-grain pasta may be more effective than refined pasta in reducing appetite and cravings.
For comparison, here are the nutrients found in one cup of cooked, whole-wheat spaghetti versus one cup of cooked spaghetti that has been refined and enriched
Here are some other great lunch recipe ideas:
The Lunch Box
It’s important to have a healthy lunch box. It should include fresh fruit, crunchy vegetables, and a combination of protein and carbohydrates.
Foods to put in a lunchbox
- Fresh fruit
- Crunchy vegetables
- A protein-based food such as a hard-boiled egg, peanut butter, hummus,
- Starchy foods such as bread, roll, pita bread crackers
Veggies Pasta Salad
The recipe I am offering you today is such a tasty Pasta and Vegetable Salad. I’m sure the whole family will enjoy it!
This salad is perfect for your lunch. It is quick to prepare and will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Lunch
- 454 g medium shells
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 1 cucumber cut into cubes
- 2 stalks of celery, cubed
- 1 cup edamame
- ½ cup of frozen corn
- 1 orange pepper, cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the vegetables into small cubes
- Cut the feta into small cubes as well and in the meantime cook the pasta in boiling water.
- After the pasta is cooked, rinse under cold water, until it is cool to the touch.
- Combine the pasta with the vegetables, parsley and feta in a bowl, add the red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- For optimum taste, let stand in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Keywords: Lunch, pasta salad