Craving something new for dinner? This Pan-Fried Tofu with Creamy Lemon Sauce is perfect if you're looking for something tasty, healthy, and easy to make. The tofu is pan-fried and then simmered in a creamy lemon sauce
You'll love the tangy flavor of the lemon sauce against the crispy tofu. It's a delicious and healthy meal that you can feel good about eating. Serve it with some rice or quinoa on the side and you'll have a complete meal in no time.
Serve this dish at your next dinner party and watch as your guests devour it. Not only is it tasty, but it's also vegan and gluten-free, so everyone can enjoy it. Plus, it's easy to make – even if you're not a culinary expert.
This was inspired by my tofu with mushroom gravy on this site, and pairs well with this Healthy Kale Salad.
- Firm tofu
- Lemon juice
- Heavy cream
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Heat olive oil in a large (11 to 12-inch) cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, place the tofu in the pan in one layer. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, turn the tofu and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet set aside.
Add the onions to the pan and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring the onions occasionally, until the onions are browned.
Add the lemon juice, soy cream, Dijon mustard, capers, salt and pepper to the skillet, stir over medium heat for one minute. Return the tofu to the skillet, sprinkle with parsley, and serve hot.
- Tofu - You can use firm or extra firm tofu
- Heavy Cream - I use a plantbase one but if you are vegetarian you can also regular one.
- Dijon Mustard - You can substitute with a whole grain mustard
In this recipe, there's no need to, but in general, it's better when you let it marinate for at least 1 hour, covered, in the refrigerator. If you want to leave it overnight, it will be even more flavorful.
While tofu comes in a variety of textures — silken, firm, and extra firm — technically any of them can be eaten raw. Before enjoying raw tofu, drain off any excess liquid from the packaging
Freezing tofu is easy and you can freeze any variety — it doesn't matter if it's silken, firm, or extra-firm. All you have to do is cut the tofu into cubes the size of your choosing, freeze them solid on a baking sheet, and store them in a freezer container until you're ready to defrost and cook
Pan Fried Tofu with Lemon Sauce
- 1 block 14 oz firm tofu cut in triangles
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup soya cream
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large (11 to 12-inch) cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, place the tofu in the pan in one layer. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, turn the tofu and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring the onions occasionally, until the onions are browned.
- Add the lemon juice, soy cream, Dijon mustard, capers, salt and pepper to the skillet, stir over medium heat for one minute. Return the tofu to the skillet, sprinkle with parsley, and serve hot.
This recipe sounds easy and delicious. I cant wait to try it and pass it around to make group of vegetarian/pescatarian loving friends. I can see that one could get quite creative and add mushrooms, tomatoes, cooked diced kūmara (sweet potato), corn, prawns, Chilies etc., rice as a side dish with ginger and spring onions...the mind and tastebuds are working overtime as I type lol.
Hi Maxime! Wow yes for sure you can customize the recipe with what you have in the fridge! Adding mushrooms is an awesome idea 🙂
I am wondering what is soy cream?? Is that the same as soy milk? Or vegan whipping cream? I so want to try this! It looks yummy!
Hi Julie, thank you so much, yes it's really delicious 🙂 The soya cream is like a vegan heavy cream of half and half. I find it at my grocery store in the dairy section or in the health section. Here a amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Valsoia-Soya-Cream-200ml-6-76fl/dp/B075CMB68R