I love asparagus in spring when they are in season I can eat them almost every day. I'm always looking for a new way to prepare them. This is how I discovered this Instant Pot Asparagus Soup. I had a lot of asparagus in the fridge and a little pesto left, what a nice combination of ingredients. I tried and I was not disappointed.
Instant Pot Asparagus Soup is perfect for your spring or summer dinner. It is so good, especially in the spring when you have fresh asparagus in the market. A great recipe that is easy to follow, quick to make, and healthy is always. Everyone will like this dish…and trust me they will. I promise!
This recipe is perfect for Mother’s Day lunch or dinner, Easter brunch, or if you are planning a meal for vegetarians.
- Sweet potatoes
- Fresh Basil
- Heavy cream
See recipe card for quantities
Step by Step Instructions
In the instant pot, select sauté mode and soften the onion and garlic in oil
Add asparagus, sweet potatoes, pesto, and vegetable stock. Close the lid of the instant pot, place the valve in the sealing position. Select manual and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. (it will take about 20 minutes for the pressure to rise and start cooking.
Add the heavy cream and with an immersion blender reduce to purée.
Tips for your Asparagus
- The size of the asparagus is not an indicator of quality or flavor; thick asparagus is just more ripe than the thin variety. Instead, look for bright green or purple-tinted stems. Make sure the tips are closed and compact.
- To properly store your asparagus, cut the bottom of the stem and wrap them in a damp towel. Refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to three days.
- To prepare your asparagus, use a vegetable peeler to remove the outer layer. This will remove most of the filaments.
The soup will keep well for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Once drained and patted dry, lay the asparagus on a tray and freeze until frozen solid. Transfer to labeled resealable freezer bags, ensuring you remove any excess air before sealing. Blanched asparagus are best used within a year
There's mold. If there's any fuzzy action on the spears, or there are black spots here and there, that asparagus is no good.
It's soft or mushy. The tips usually darken and go limp first, then the stalks go wrinkly.
It smells funky
More Soup Recipes!
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Asian Tofu Soup
- Carrot Detox Soup
- Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Creamy Roasted Bell Pepper Soup
Instant Pot Asparagus Soup
- In the instant pot, slect sauté mode andsoften the onion and garlic in oil.
- Add asparagus, sweet potatoes, pesto and vegetable stock. Close the lid of the instant pot, place the valve in the sealing position. Select manual and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. (it will take about 20 minutes for the pressure to rise and start cooking.
- Release the pressure immediately. Open the lid carefely.
- Add the heavy cream and with an immersion blender reduce to purée.
- Season to taste and serve
In a saucepan over medium heat, soften the onion and garlic in oil.
Add sweet potatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Add Asparagus continue cooking for 10 minutes
Remove from heat, add cream
In a blender or with a hand mixer, reduce to pure purée.
Season to taste
This article contains affiliate links. Click here to view the disclosure policy. I recommend only the products I know and love!