Are you looking for a delicious, healthy, and hearty meal that’s perfect for both lunch and dinner? Look no further than this sweet potato and chickpea stew! Bursting with bold flavors it's sure to delight your tastebuds. Not only is it full of flavor but it's also an inexpensive vegetarian option packed with tons of nutrients from sweet potatoes and chickpeas.
You can serve this Sweet Potato Chickpea Stew with rice or quinoa for an even more complete meal! I also like to serve this stew with Naan bread that I can dip in the sauce. Vary this recipe by adding spinach or fresh kale leaves and changing the chickpeas with another kind of legume, such as white beans, or lima beans or completely replacing them with frozen edamame
This stew makes 8 servings so if you are alone and you don’t want to eat leftovers all week, you can easily freeze it, it will keep up 3 months in the freezer
Coconut milk (full fat or light)
See the recipe card for quantities
Step-by-step preparation with photos
- Finely chop the onion. Peel the sweet potato and cut it into cubes about 1 inch.
- Over medium heat, cook the chopped onion and garlic cloves in the oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and cook for another 3 minutes
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, coconut milk, and spices.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with rice if desired
No, you just cook the sweet potatoes with the rest of the ingredients
You don't have to peel sweet potatoes before cooking them. However, most people prefer the smoother texture of peeled potatoes, especially in sweet dishes like sweet potato pie. If you keep the skins on your sweet potatoes, please remember to wash and scrub them well before cooking them
Sweet Potato Chickpea Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 medium sweet potatoes cubed
- 1 can (19oz) chickpeas rinsed
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can coconut milk light or full fat
- 2 tablespoon curry paste or 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chop the onion and the garlic. Peel the sweet potato and cut it into cubes about 1 inch.
- Over medium heat, in a large pot cook the chopped onion and garlic cloves in the oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes cook for another 3 minutes
- Add the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, coconut milk and spices, stir to combine everything Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve on top of rice if desired