This Vegan broccoli and cheese soup is perfect for the colder months to come!
You will not believe how cheesy and yummy much this Vegan Broccoli and Cheese soup is, without any dairy at all! This soup is sure to please everyone’s even none vegan. It’s thick, cheesy, creamy and rich; but it is in fact very nutrition packed and good for you.
This creamy vegan broccoli soup is exactly what we all need right now. Flavorful, creamy, packed with veggies, and the perfect accompaniment to a whole grain sandwich, a salad, or maybe just a big slice of rustic bread.
One of broccoli’s biggest advantages is its nutrient content. It’s loaded with a wide array of vitamins, minerals, fiber and other bioactive compounds.
One cup (91 grams) of raw broccoli packs (1):
- Carbs: 6 grams
- Protein: 2.6 gram
- Fat: 0.3 grams
- Fiber: 2.4 grams
- Vitamin C: 135% of the RDI
- Vitamin A: 11% of the RDI
- Vitamin K: 116% of the RDI
- Vitamin B9 (Folate): 14% of the RDI
- Potassium: 8% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 6% of the RDI
- Selenium: 3% of the RDI
Broccoli can be eaten cooked or raw — both are perfectly healthy but provide different nutrient profiles.
Different cooking methods, such as boiling, microwaving, stir-frying and steaming, alter the vegetable’s nutrient composition, particularly reducing vitamin C, as well as soluble protein and sugar. Steaming appears to have the fewest negative effects (2Trusted Source).
Still, raw or cooked, broccoli is an excellent source of vitamin C. Just half a cup (78 grams) of cooked broccoli provides 84% of the reference daily intake (RDI) — more than one-half orange can offer (3, 4).
Vegan broccoli and cheese soup
You will not believe how cheesy and yummy this Vegan Broccoli and Cheese soup is, without any dairy at all! This soup is sure to please everyone’s even none vegan. It’s thick, cheesy, creamy and rich; but it is in fact very nutrition packed and good for you.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 5 cups broccoli, chopped
- ⅔ cup chopped carrots
- 1 chopped onion,
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Vegan cheddar cheese to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the broccoli, carrot, onion, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, non-dairy milk and nutritional yeast. Simmer soup over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- With a immersion blender, blend the soup to your liking.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper.
- Serve warm and enjoy
Keywords: soup, broccoli